Certification Engineer III
About the Organization
Astronics Corporation is a leading supplier of advanced technologies and products to the global aerospace, defense and semiconductor industries. Astronics' products include advanced, high-performance electrical power generation and distribution systems, lighting and safety systems, avionics products, aircraft structures, engineering design and systems certification, and automatic test systems.
Astronics' strategy is to increase its value by developing technologies and capabilities, either internally or through acquisition, and using those capabilities to provide innovative solutions to its targeted markets and other markets where its technology can be beneficial.
Astronics Corporation, through its wholly-owned subsidiaries, has a reputation for high-quality designs, exceptional responsiveness, strong brand recognition and best-in-class manufacturing practices.
Certification Engineer III (Armstrong)
Responsible for developing and documenting advanced certification strategy required to support the installation design and certification of technology onboard commercial aircraft. Additional responsibilities include managing Unit Member (UM), FAA Designated Engineering Representative (DER) and FAA Designated Airworthiness Representative (DAR) review and approval of Supplemental Type Certificate (STC) data packages.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
* Works with mechanical design engineers, electrical systems engineers, project managers and analysis engineers to develop advanced certification strategies
* Identifies certification basis, researches and identifies required regulations, develops certification strategy to show compliance to these requisite regulations and documents compliance finding at the conclusion of the project. Monitors project progress to make sure the design and analysis activities support this certification approach/strategy
* Actively develops and adapts creative and comprehensive certification strategies to show compliance with the required regulations
* Actively assists project management and engineering team in solving internal and external certification-related challenges
* Provides guidance to the project manager to define the scope, deliverables and schedule for projects
* Provide mentoring and training to less senior employees
* Works in conjunction with ODA UM/DER resources to develop all qualitative certification-related documents and deliverables
* Manages and coordinates DER/DAR and/or ODA UM resources to support piece-part and installation conformities as well as article and aircraft test witnessing
* Provides support and guidance for all compliance related testing. This may require onsite support during testing
* Manages project and sub-level Master Data Lists (MDLs) and the integrity of the documentation listed therein until STC issuance
* Coordinates the development and approval of article qualification test plans and reports with DERs and/or ODA UMs and customers
* Develop TPED Compatibility STC data packages
* Perform and document TPED testing equipment interference analyses
* Perform and document pre-TPED testing aircraft fleet configuration assessments to determine aircraft equipment test configurations
* Perform and document component (LRU) comparative analyses based on HIRF and/or RTCA DO-160 test criteria and other LRU technical data
Education and/or Experience
* Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical, Electrical or Aerospace Engineering, or in a related technical and/or equivalent field.
* At least 4 years of experience in aviation/aerospace or similar industry
* At least 2 years of experience working with FAA Part 21 regulations
* Strong technical writing techniques including outlining regulations and/or requirements and detailing substantiation of them
* Strong analytic problem solving capabilities
* Direct experience working in a engineering/technical organization with strict document control processes and procedures and the ability to adhere to them
* Familiarity with RF emissions from electronic devices
* Masters Degree in Aerospace, Mechanical, Systems Engineering and/or related field
* Direct experience with avionics, communication and/or navigation systems
* Direct experience with electro-mechanical systems
* Direct experience with electromagnetic interference
* FAA DER/DAR qualifications
Astronics Armstrong Aerospace (1437)
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status.